30 Profound Journal Prompts For Spiritual Growth
In this article, discover 30 thoughtful journal prompts for spiritual growth to help you connect deeper to both your true self and to the higher power in your life. Plus, download your free printable journal prompts below!
Growing up, I never would’ve considered myself a spiritual person.
I think I always mostly believed in a higher power, but I always considered this higher power to exist outside of myself. To be completely honest, I often imagined this higher power to be this enormous being who was watching me from the sky, judging and criticizing my every thought and action.
I believed this higher power had extraordinary expectations for me to be perfect, and I was already so hard on myself all the time – bearing the weight of all those expectations felt like carrying a mountain on my shoulders. In my mind, no matter what I did, it’d never be enough.
So it became much easier for me to pretend this higher being didn’t exist at all.
It was just me and myself, I decided. I’d have to figure things out on my own. And that was okay. I didn’t need anyone else. I remember when I was younger, I once asked my mom if she thought I was a leader or a follower.
“Neither,” she responded. “You don’t feel the need to lead, but you don’t follow either. You’re just your own person.”
I loved this identity. My own person. Even though I don’t think it was what she meant, I took it to mean that I didn’t need other people at all. Even when things were difficult, I could always make it on my own.
It took many years of lessons and hardship to realize that trying to be a solely independent person who never relied on anyone else for anything wasn’t really the path I wanted to be on. That I truly and deeply loved people. That I needed them.
And that I needed something greater than me to believe in. That I needed a higher power: God, the Universe, Source, Love, All That Is – whatever name feels best to you.
My life changed in the most extraordinary ways when I released my grip on the reins and surrendered control to the Universe. When I began to lean into divine flow. When I trusted the pull of my heart guiding me forward, even when it didn’t make sense.
And this relationship is still growing. Still expanding. It transforms every day. The more I surrender, let go, and trust, the more miraculous my life becomes. I was so worried about control for so long, yet it was releasing this control that brought me the true peace I’d been searching for my entire life.
Below, you’ll find 30 journal prompts for spiritual growth to help you on your own spiritual journey. These questions focus both on your relationship with your true self as well as your relationship with a higher power. You can also download your copy of these free printable journal prompts at the bottom of this post.
Before you begin responding to any of these journal prompts, I want you to make a promise to yourself to be kind and compassionate with yourself no matter what comes up. Allow yourself the grace of imperfection. Embrace your past, as every experience you’ve encountered has brought you here today.
And also, what I believed when I was little? About a higher power sitting in the sky watching and criticizing your every move? It isn’t true. We all have different, unique relationships with the Universe, but for all of us, this is true:
The Universe has never criticized or condemned you. The Universe has never judged you for your thoughts or actions. The Universe is love. The Universe knows only love. And the Universe only feels perfect, unconditional love for you.
- You May Also Like: 4 Undeniable Reasons Why You Are Not Broken
Journal Prompts For Spiritual Growth
- Who is my true self?
- What do I love most about my true self?
- Do I ever hide my true self out of fear of being judged or criticized?
- The next time I’m tempted to hide my true self, what can I tell myself to confidently stand in who I am and embrace myself fully?
- What has my spiritual journey looked like up to this point in my life?
- What does “spirituality” mean to me?
- What does it mean to me to be a spiritual person? What about my spiritual self am I still learning and discovering?
- When and/or where do I feel most connected to my spiritual self?
- What is my relationship with a higher power?
- How does a higher power show up in my daily life?
- How would I like a higher power to show up in my life? Can I ask this higher power to show up for me in this way?
- In what ways does the Universe (or God) speak to me? How do I speak back to the Universe?
- When I communicate with the Universe, do I feel heard?
- Do I feel like the higher power in my life criticizes me or loves me without condition? How does this higher power feel about me?
- What is my soul’s purpose? Do I feel connected to my purpose? If not, what steps can I take to discover my soul’s purpose?
- When do I feel most at peace?
- How can I cultivate deeper feelings of inner peace in my daily life, even when the outer world feels heavy and overwhelming?
- What miracles have I experienced in my life? What do these miracles mean to me?
- How has the Universe guided me throughout my life through the use of signs, synchronicities, and my own intuition?
- Am I currently receiving any spiritual guidance about my path? What is this guidance telling me is the next right step?
- Am I able to surrender to spiritual guidance, or is it sometimes difficult for me to give up control? What do I fear will happen if I release control and surrender?
- What does it mean to me to surrender?
- What are some things I’m worrying about right now? How can I turn over these worries to a higher power?
- Do I ever feel lost or alone in my life? Am I able to turn to a higher power during these times? If this is difficult, what makes it hard to do?
- Has there ever been a time in my life when my prayers weren’t answered (or it seemed as though they weren’t answered), and this actually worked out positively for me?
- What are some examples of past experiences when the Universe gave me exactly what I needed at exactly the right time?
- How does spiritual growth require change and transformation? Is this easy or hard for me?
- The Law of Rhythm states that everything comes in cycles, and nothing stays in one state forever. We can see this in the changing of seasons and the cycles of the moon. What cycles appear in my own life? How can understanding that everything is part of a greater cycle help me to cultivate deeper feelings of inner peace?
- Did I have any childhood experiences that negatively affected my belief, attitude, or relationship toward God, the Universe, and/or the concept of spirituality? Have I been able to heal from these experiences, or is there still healing to be done?
- What self-care practices can I do for myself to nourish my spiritual self? How can I take care of my mind, body, and spirit?
What does spiritual growth look like to you? Share your stories and experiences in the comment box below.
And for more resources on spirituality, meditation, manifestation, and all things self-love, connect with me on Instagram and Pinterest, where I’m posting positive affirmations and empowering messages daily.
More Articles For You
- 44 Spiritual Growth Quotes For Your Spiritual Journey
- 30 Journal Prompts For Self Growth (& Deeper Self-Love)
- 11 Beautiful Poetry Books About Self-Love & Acceptance
- How To Receive Messages From The Universe
- 28 Inspiring Quotes For New Beginnings
Hi, I’m Zanna! I’m a blogger/freelance writer living in Boise, Idaho. My mission is to help you break through the barriers holding you back from accessing infinite abundance and to inspire you to gather the courage and confidence to follow your dreams.
I felt much the same as you when I was a little girl. I was raised in a Pentecostal church, and being a perfectionist, always felt that I could never measure up to what God expected of me. I decided at age ten that I was going to hell and I was OK with it because I knew it was the only way to live my life in peace.
Thankfully I am older and wiser now but I am still working on the belief that the Universe loves me unconditionally.
Thank you for this. I love your website!
Thank you so much, Brenda. And thank you for sharing your story. It can be so hard to unravel the old beliefs that we’re being judged and criticized and embrace the belief that we are unconditionally loved. But it’s such a beautiful and worthwhile journey. Thank you again. Truly. Sending you my wholehearted love and light. ♡